Labels

Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Head Hurts And My Feet Feel Worse



but I woke up feeling good this morning. Not long ago a healthy 18 year old boy volunteered to feed up for me for two days. Afterwards he sent me a very sincere note explaining that there was no way one man could be doing all this work for the long term and that I needed to enlist some regular help to handle the farm chores. I have been doing this work for a long time.

 I am not 18. I am fifty three. I am sore.

I can't find my glasses.

In short, this would have been a good day to hit a snooze button, (except that I have never used an alarm clock).

But for all the bad I feel this morning, I feel good.

Real good.

This is Ashley and her colt, Peter Maxwell. He is the son of Quien Es? and Edward Teach--so he is 1/2 Corolla, 1/4 blm mustang and 1/4 Chincoteague--a combination that will make him 100% tough. Ashley completed the Equine Youth Challenge program yesterday. Ibuprofen does not do much for me but a picture like this dulls the pain in one's feet quite well.

Yesterday was a day of horse training, riding, mounted archery, oyster roast, birthday cake for Daddy, and a mounted Easter Egg Hunt that Terry put together. It was an exhausting and satisfying day.

My capacity for happiness has been severely eroded over the years but my capacity for satisfaction has not been hampered one bit.

This morning I am very satisfied. Which is a good thing, because shortly I have to go move about 1,500 pounds of hay.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This picture makes me very happy. :) Mill Swamp is a wonderful place where the average American young person can develop a sense of satisfaction in ways that are all but lost to my generation. Thank you, Steve, for all the hard work you do to make this possible for so many people!