Labels

Sunday, February 17, 2013

And Then There Was One



I do not know the exact temperature but I suspect that it is in the low thirties, just above freezing. The wind is howling. The wind chill causes exposed skin to sting and burn. In short, it was to cold for all but the toughest, most determined of my little riders to be in the woods today.

That's her pictured above with Kiowa, her Virginia City Range mustang that we are in the final stages of getting ready to ride in the woods. She likely will put Kiowa in the woods on Friday.

To avoid the wind today we went deep in the woods, well off trail. Haley, age 9, was on Porter, a Corolla. I rode my Shackleford, Holland and Terry joined us with her Chincostang, Quien Es? We had some logs to jump ad a swampy spot or two to navigate. I took a short cut through a place that I had not been since I was a child. We made it out.

True to form, Haley said that it was her best hard ride yet. She liked it the very best, she said, when I knew where I was.


(Riders don't like it when I temporarily misplace my bearings in strange woods.)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

And as she sat in the back seat of the car on the way home with a big smile on her face and cheeks red from wind-burn, she caught me glancing at her in the rear-view mirror and asked, "Do you know why I'm so happy? "Cause I had a great ride".