Labels

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rebuilding

One of the worst things about being incapacitated for a long time is that you not only forget who you are, you forget who you were. You forget what you are capable of doing. A few months ago there were days in which I was not strong enough to walk the half-mile length of my pastures. There were  many days in which I was not strong enough to stay in the saddle. Those days are behind me now. 

This morning I got up and ran 3.1 miles, took a shower, saddled up one of my faster horses and along with three of my  riders we cantered and trotted for an hour. This afternoon I will ride for two hours most, of which will be trotting. I intend, and expect, to do my  next 50 miles in a day ride in February. My wife will joining me for this on her first 50 mile in a day ride. 

It's ironic that both of us will be in better condition than we were in our 20s.

No comments: