Labels

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Complete Riding Program

The most difficult part of running this program is something that no one else ever sees. It is not the care of the animals, or the teaching of the kids. It is the requirement to live in my role every minute of every day.

I have very strong beliefs as to the value of belief. I do not hold these beliefs as something to aspire to. I hold them as something to be lived without fail. If my little riders do not learn these values from me then I have failed, regardless of how well they ride or train wild horses.

 Perhaps at the forefront of values that matter to me is generosity. I only feel justified in working to acquire something if it will put me in a better position to give away more. Absolute honesty is paramount. Sobriety must be practiced without a moment of giving into temptation. Hard work is reminder that one is still alive. Hard physical work is a reminder that one has been blessed to be able to do that hard work. Without a degree of courage all other virtues are hollow. One cannot live a value filled life without having the courage to reject the values of the rest of the world. I try to teach a love of learning and an appreciation of meaningful art, particularly music that has stood the test of time.

 When Lido died I got a note from an acquaintance to the effect that I have worked to teach my little riders about life, now I must teach them about death. I doubt if I did a good job at that. Some holes in a wall can never be covered with Spackle.

 But perhaps I am succeeding in teaching perseverance. Learning to ignore discomfort and pain makes it possible to to persevere. Lest one preservers one cannot practice any of the the other virtues that I hold dear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The way I learned it from my Lakota relatives, the four necessary qualities* are Courage, Patience, Endurance and Alertness.

(*beyond the assumed default positions, generosity and gratitude)

Thank you again, Steve, for a very inspiring post.

Deb in California