Labels

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Look Tom, Grand Ma Had Some Just Like Those





Charlotte the snow sow came to us today after a great deal of deliberation and planning. Amos came to me completely as a fluke and arrived late yesterday afternoon.

Amos and Charlotte are not for eating. Neither they, nor I, appreciate suggestions, allusions or jokes to the contrary. These hogs are teaching tools. It may , and should, shock you to know that factory farming has destroyed hog farming in Smithfield, Virginia to the degree that nearly none of my riders have ever touched a hog.

Charlotte and Amos will not live on a factory farm. They will live a life much more like the lives of the hogs that my grandfathers raised in the 1960's--corn, mud, and a lot of having their ears scratched.

2 comments:

Morgan Mason said...

I love this post and work you are doing, Steve. You are helping us preserve our history on the Outer Banks and promoting love of animals everywhere. Thank you!

SDaniels said...

How's my girl doing? Hope she likes Amos. House just isn't the same without her