Labels

Friday, April 15, 2011

Counting Chickens Before They Hatch






In about three weeks I hope to have three foals produced from the off site breeding program. Wanchese, my Shackleford stallion shown here on his first canter, is bred to Secotan, Amanda's cold black Corolla mare. Persa, my Shackleford mare is bred to Manteo, a fancy gaited Corolla. Baton Rouge will have her second foal for the off site breeding program. She is bred to Trade Wind.

Pictured above with a saddle is Rosa a very young filly. She is the daughter of Red Feather and is not old enough to start raising little ones. I get excited about her potential. People that look at Red Feather today see a fuzzy little teddy bear with sleepy looking eyes. They are surprised when I tell them that he is the most athletic horse with whom I have ever shared a round pen.

You should have seen him last night. He checked his calendar, noticed that it was Spring, surveyed his surroundings and cut loose. Every horse that came to play found themselves left far out of the chase. So many gears--so many gears!

But back to the topic at hand--I expect to soon have three foals available to people with a serious commitment to the offsite breeding program. If you want to be part of something that matters consider participating with your own Corolla Colonial Spanish mustang.

2 comments:

Shelley Duguid Spears said...

I can't wait to fall in love with them...

DianneW said...

I am glad to see that the three mares are bred to three different stallions. In a small strain, it is very important to maintain as much genetic diversity as possible.

I can't wait to fall in love with them either. Being the prejudiced person that I am, Wanchese's will be my favorite.