Labels

Friday, February 4, 2011

OK, So Maybe Not Every Picture Is Worth 1000 Words




This is a lighthearted picture of a wonderful story. I do not understand camera angles and the effect that they have on the final product but I know that this is an extreme example of that effect. Riggs is a beautiful northern type SMR. He does not have large ears. In fact, he is about as perfect an example of a northern SMR as will be found. He is also an athlete. Worst of all for me, he is an educated athlete. I do not understand the cues that he has learned over the last 15 years. He has been a polo, dressage and endurance horse. He is not filled with fear, yet his mind is obsessed with his three favorite thoughts---go, go-er, and go-est.

The picture does not say enough about Norm. He is one of the gentlest, kindest, and most compassionate friend of animals that I have ever encountered. Norm rode as a kid and came to ride with us when he was not a kid.

Norm became attached to Riggs. He did not see him as an opponent to be conquered or even as a problem to be solved. He simply saw Riggs as some one who could use a friend. He has put endless hours into becoming Rigg's friend.

Whenever there has been a problem with the horse Norm has taken the correct view of the situation. He never asks, "What is wrong with that crazy horse?" He immediately thinks, "How can I make this better?"

There is more wisdom in Norm's horsemanship than there is knowledge. That is a wonderful lesson in itself. Norm's training strategies are based in concepts that begin with "If I take more time..If I make him enjoy being caught...If I teach him that he can just relax with a saddle on..If I make this fun for him..." He understands that the horse "is" and that it is he who must "become".

I have several adults in our program that are great role models for my little riders. Norm is falling into that category. He works hard. He places his horse's interest above his own and his horsemanship is equal parts courage and compassion.

That is what we want in our program--a relentless drive to become better people.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Steve hit the nail on the head. Norm is so awesome!