Labels

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Competition With Meaning




I do not approve of most forms of equine competition because I can think of so few that have actually been of benefit to the horse. I despise any institution that would teach a 12 year old girl that she should sell her best friend because he can only bring home the red ribbons and that if she is going to win blue ribbons she needs a "better" horse.

But there is one form of competition that I love and that is competition against one's self--working and driving yourself to become better. This competition is good regardless of the endeavor. I compete with myself to see just how lightly I can use a cue and still get a horse to respond properly. I compete with myself to see how conditioned I can make my horses. I compete with myself to see how effectively I can teach little ones to properly handle horses.

My wife has taken self competition to a wonderful level. This summer she began barefoot running. Her progress has shocked me. She now runs four mile stretches and is off to do another 5k run this morning. She never talks about how she "placed." She never gauges her success by comparing herself to others. She is only interested in improving her time. She is competing against herself and she is winning.

Five years ago she was competing with herself to stay alive. Five years ago she was going through surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. She won.

Take a good look at this picture of her and my granddaughter from Halloween. She looks pretty good for a women her age, doesn't she.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, she does. Any age, for that matter.