Labels

Sunday, November 7, 2010

2-1 and Insulin Resistance

 






Trade Wind was captured in Corolla because he was crippled with founder. Without any horse feed, living solely on hay and being ridden very hard, he still maintains a football size lump of fat on his neck.

I see little change in my horse's health when I simply toss a mineral block out there in the pasture. However, cattle mineral in powder form that has a 2-1 Calcium to Phosphorous ratio gives horses what they need. With out that ratio they simply cannot get enough calcium to their bones and they must rob it from their muscles and blood stream. If horses are eating a lot of oat hay or alfalfa 2-1 mineral is a must for sound nutrition.

I due not understand the medical reasons that it works, but 2-1 mineral is the only thing that I find that appreciably effects Trade Winds obesity.

The down side is that 2-1 mineral is expensive. But it works. It is the only supplement that my horses get. 2-1 mineral and Pete Ramey's trimming techniques have turned this severely crippled horse into a horse that has completed several fifty mile rides in one day with out showing the slightest sign of discomfort.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOh, I like this picture--did Rebecca take it?
-E.