Labels

Monday, October 4, 2010

A Bafflement




The recent deluge has reminded me of the continuing need to protect the soil against erosion. Last year I stumbled upon a great ally in that fight--hay twine.

Left over hay twine can serve as more than simple pasture decoration. It can hold your pasture in place.

Large handfuls of hay twine radically reduce erosion and increase deposition of soil. When simply dropped into eroded soil cuts the twisted strands create a series of baffles that slow the water speed enough to cause grains of earth to sink to the bottom. I find it more effective than traditional forms of debris used to fight erosion such as broken brick and cinder block.

( No Swimmer had not thrown me in the picture above. I was simply taking a break and discussing a matter of mutual concern with her.)

3 comments:

DianneW said...

Can you get some seed of native grass species to spread in those eroded areas? Native grasses have very deep root systems and are very good at holding soil. Even during the dry season when the tops are gone, the roots will hold.

(Your sure the horses won't get their feet tangled in the twine or try to eat it? Sorry, it's the female in me.)

Steve Edwards said...

In the areas of deposition that develop wire grass quickly goes to root. The great thing is that these areas actually fill in the eroded ruts and eliminate them over time. love watching it happen.

Priscilla said...

I leave hey twine laying around all the time, it drives my mother nuts and shes always worrying about the horses swallowing it. ;D My Daddy said that there's enough twine laying around to make a sweater.