Labels

Friday, August 20, 2010

Intensity

For the past two days I have been here at Boys Home in Covington, VA working both with their horses and the kids that will be in their natural horsemanship program. A local 4-H Club watched and participated today as we worked several young horses. Sunka Wasicun was pretty much untouchable 24 hours ago but this afternoon he was ridden leisurely in a large enclosure adjacent to the round pen. Rain In the Face is started sufficiently well to be ridden in the woods. Iron Shirt's ability to learn is only matched by that of the young man who spent the day training him.

This was a big day for the horses, the students and for me. I love teaching kids how to do first rate training, but it is much more fun to teach them how to believe that they can do first rate training.

A few years ago someone commented that I do not really teach kids how to ride. I simply teach kids to have the confidence to learn how to ride on their own.

Such analysis is perfectly accurate and I do not shy from it a bit.

1 comment:

wendy said...

Steve..oh my goodness..it is not just the kids you help. You taught me, encouraged me, and believed in me despite my pessimism and lack of coordination. I loved horses thru out my life, but had no idea that I could "be" with them until I met you!