Labels

Monday, July 26, 2010

Freedom


Like the sound of fingernails on a chalk board, some words evoke discomfort in me merely upon their utterance. Words like "constraint", "restraint", ""rules", "proper","organization" and "correct" all create an instant feeling rather akin to claustrophobia. I have never been a rebel in the sense that I seek out rules to break. Instead I have simply spent my life ignoring rules that complicate life. I nearly never wore a coat as a child. If one never wears a coat one does not have to waste time looking for a coat. As a young teen I hunted all winter in the swamps of our area wearing tennis shoes because boots made too much noise. Early on I realized that people waste an enormous portion of their life spans lying in bed and sitting at a dinner table. The faster one eats and the less time one sleeps the more time is available to accomplish things that matter.

Of course, the end result is a personality that is essentially a collection of eccentricities. On the positive side these eccentricities have driven me to develop a style of horsemanship that I believe greatly benefits the horse and the rider. All of my teaching methods are designed with one purpose--to eliminate the arbitrary requirements of "proper" riding and to break real horsemanship down to a level that that can be understood and practiced by kids and novices alike.

In short, we disregard every concept that does not lead to increased comfort and lightness for the horse and comfort and confidence for the rider. Like Emerson, we simplify. How does one learn to ride? By riding hundreds of miles and thousands of hours. What is the proper, balanced seat? Heels lower than toes, toes in front of knees, sitting one one's pockets, spine collapsed into a big,slouching "C".

As I look at riders in horse shows I cannot help but wonder where the "pleasure" is in western "pleasure" riding. The riders all look like they sitting outside the Principal's office awaiting their punishment.

Our horses and our riders are comfortable because we absolutely ignore that model. I want my riders to look like exhausted, aged, alcoholic cowboys with tuberculosis who chain smoke Camel cigarettes.

Such a posture causes horses to relax, lower their heads a bit, and move on out in comfort. As long as they keep moving I encourage my horses to grab a bit to eat as we ride on through the woods. (Those few riding instructors who have been able to read this far along in this post are now yelling at their computers "Heresy!Heresy! Burn him! Burn the heretic.")

I recently came across a book of great wisdom in my 2 year old grand daughter's library. In fact, its timeless message has made it into her current favorite book to have read to her. Of course, I am speaking of the classic, "Go Dog Go."

For those few of you who have not read the book, I will give a brief approximation of a portion of one chapter. There is a picture of a dog on top of a tree with brief, riveting prose to the effect of "One dog on top of a tree." The next page might have a picture of two dogs lying under a tree. One's eye is quickly drawn to the bottom of the page where, in Shakespearean tones, the text, "Two dogs lying under a tree" solves the dichotomous mystery.

Perhaps the most meaningful portion of this work of literature is the discussion of seeking the approval of others. A hatted dog approaches another dog and asks, "Do you like my hat?" only to be told, "I do not like your hat" by a judgemental, rather pompous canine.

The hatted dog's strong defense of his choice in coifs is instructive for all. "Good bye", he says with a smile on his face and then he moves on.

And to all of those in the established horse world who do not like my horses, my methods, and my deeply held beliefs, I bid you a fond "Good bye."

4 comments:

DianneW said...

After a certain point, the less time one sleeps the more sleep deprived one becomes. Over the past several years, I have read about several studies that indicate that chronic sleep deprivation, and the resulting fatigue, is a growing source of problems in our culture. Just tonight I read that the Appropriate Authorities have decreed that medical residents will get more sleep because fatigue was leading to mistakes that had serious consequences for their patients. Fatigue is more difficult to identify and quantify than inebriation, but law enforcement has become aware that it is a factor in some auto accidents. I expect it is a factor in many other types of accidents, as well.

I do not do horse training when fatigued. I find that both my physical and mental reactions are slowed. I will get on a trained horse and let it carry me where it wants.

wendy said...

I am plagued by those type of "goodbyes"; but your candidness reinforces that one can feel true freedom afterwards.

My problem is knowing -
when is saying so acceptance and healthy versus giving into the misguided; thus facing defeat of a cause?

If you can answer this the chronic sleep deprivation DW mentions could be cured for all.

Wendy

P.S. Who are the "Appropriate Authorities"?

Steve Edwards said...

I look only to one criterion. I do not waste a moment's time on anyone who deems it appropriate to condescend to me.

The appropriate authority identifies himself by his actions. Are his students learning? Are his horses healthy? Are his horses happy? Do his methods work or does he just do things the way everyone knows it should be? Does he improve the lives of his students and his horses?

Lastly, look at him outside the realm of his supposed horse expertise. Is he an idiot? Is he arrogant and insufferable? Is he disliked by even his children and his dogs?

When those tests are applied it gets easy to determine whether a person is of sufficient knowledge to be considered an appropriate authority.

wendy said...

Looks like I got alot of "goodbyes" to say..

Think I'll get some sleep first!