Labels

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pursuing Happiness



At JK's wedding I watched as a group of young people laughed, hugged, told stories and had a wonderful time. It struck me that if they were in pursuit of happiness they had found it. In pursuing happiness they were pursuing fun.

It dawned on me that my pursuit of happiness has changed over the years. Fun no longer produces happiness as it once did. When I was a young politician power produced happiness. Now I suspect that power would merely produce hassles, not happiness.

I have come to realize that my particular pursuit of happiness is simply the pursuit of beauty and peacefulness.

Quannah Parker, shown above, will have that beauty as he matures. Riding his father and others like him deep into the woods with my little riders gives me peace.

For me, the first step in the pursuit of happiness is a step toward the tack shed.

(Quannah Parker is one of the 1/2 Corolla foals that we produced by crossing Corolla stallions with outside mares. The 1/2 Corollas will not be used in the off site breeding program. They were bred for the sole purpose of creating super horses which combine the gentle Corolla gait, extraordinary endurance, and sweet nature with positive traits of a handful of mares. I only have two of the half Corolla colts that are available for sale. A portion of the proceeds of the sale of each 1/2 Corolla is donated to the Corolla Wild Horse Fund. Quannah's mother, Cynthia Parker, is a pure bred modern Appaloosa.)

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Hmmmm.... (*thinking*)

BTW, beautiful horse!

Mark L. Stevenson said...

Happiness is such an abstract term that means many things to many people. Generally, I know why I'm happy or why I'm not happy. I can pinpoint things happening in my life or about to happen in my life to bring such emotions.

Other people have a hard time narrowing down the causes for their emotional state.

To most of the world, money/fame/power and other things bring true happiness, or so they think. I agree with you that these things can also bring more hassles.

I think friendship and companionship generally brings happiness to most people and perhaps the horses provide this for you and everyone else that comes out to ride.