Labels

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Modern Ranch Wife

My wife, Beth Edwards, is a Senior Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia. She enjoys riding but not to the degree that I do. She rarely does any of the upkeep or work with horse training. Her job is more important. She thinks for me. I absolutely rely on her judgement regarding every business decision that is made at the horse lot. In fact, I have never gone against that judgement.

I can count on her in other ways. Over the holidays we had a few sick horses. Treating them was a monumental effort on the part of many people. Beth was there every moment that she could be, even cutting back on her visits with family members that she only gets to see a few times each year.

I have to say that in certain respects she impressed me more this morning than she usually does. I needed to hook up the trailer and put two round bales in the trailer by hand, in the darkness, with the temperature in the twenties. Beth offered to help. The bales weigh between 800 and 1000 pounds. I could not have come close to getting the job done by myself. It turns out that her legs are every bit as strong as they were when she ran track in high school.

We got the job done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohhooo for Beth!! We knew it was in you!
-Lydia

Anonymous said...

Please tell Beth "Thank You" for all of her support. Even though she may not always be 'at' the horse lot, we all know she is there, supoorting you and MSIH.
The Andersons

Anonymous said...

Our horse took sick New Year's Day and we were outside with her for three days. Between January 1 and January 2, the temperature dropped near freezing and the wind picked up. When I arrived on Saturday, short on sleep and worried, I had a panicked moment wondering how I would manage to care for Secotan in the cold for the hours that lay ahead.

Beth brought me more warm clothes, including a down coat. She worked all day in the Little House, keeping the wood-burning stove going. She shared homemade soup. When I came in to warm up, she kept me company. Knowing that I had a warm place to return to allowed me to go back out into the cold again and again.

Secotan is well, in no small part thanks to Beth.

Thank you Beth! -- Liz Marshall

wendy said...

Behind every good man...