Labels

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Higher Calling?


I cannot really claim that it is a higher calling, but as I have gotten older I realize that I have a different calling. When I was young I was a politician and I loved every moment of it. Under no circumstances would I go back to that life now. I have been a prosecutor for over a decade but the only real satisfaction that I derive from my job is when I help a victim of molestation or child abuse through a trial. But for that, I have come to realize that there is very little that I do outside of the horse lot that will have a deep impact on anyone for the better.

Recently it became apparent that we will soon have a vacancy in a judgeship. As had happened before, within minutes of the word leaking out I was asked if I would be interested in seeking appointment to the bench. I must admit that I seriously considered doing so for at least 15 seconds.

I cannot accept any position that would take me away from my horses and my little riders for even an additional moment. There are others who would make a great judges, but I really do not think that I could find anyone better suited to take care of my horses and my little riders than me.

It is particularly ironic that when a previous judgeship came open a senior member of the bar was concerned about my courtroom attire and whether it presented the proper image for a judge (I guess he disapproved of boots and rodeo shirts in the court room.) Since that time I have made significant changes in my courtroom wardrobe as show above in this picture of my special suit that I wear to argue cases on appeal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve, Seeing riders in period customes really brings to light the history and value that these horses bring to equine world. Great job
Bill

The Stevensons said...

You wouldn't be the same in court if you didn't have your western gear on!

wendy said...

If they are concerned about your attire then indeed they should be happy for you to be a judge. They wear robes!