Labels

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Surreal Conversations


Until yesterday the most surreal conversations that I ever have found myself involved in all occurred at the tack shed while we were saddling up. Several times each year I find myself with a panicked horse in hand who, if I made the slightest misstep, could seriously injure me. On more than one occasion during such moments,(even once when the horse was not making contact with the ground) a rider will look at me and ask me to come and check to make sure that their girth is OK.

Yesterday topped that, but in a pleasant, though no less surreal setting. As a special prosecutor in another jurisdiction I found myself involved in one of the more contentious cases that I had had in a long time. After the judge made his final ruling, he looked around to make sure that all of the parties were out of the courtroom, and quickly called the other attorneys and court personnel up to the bench. He then rather excitedly asked me to "tell them a story about Lido."

This shot above is of an equine with beautiful Spanish features woven into a mule's body. It is not unusual that this mule should carry such obvious Spanish genes. He lives on the Dominican Republic where the Spanish set up large breeding farms in the 1500's. A regal mule, what could be more surreal?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we should get one such mule with the basket attachments.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good ending to the day. What story did you tell?
-Lydia

Steve Edwards said...

I told them about Lido being the first person to mount my first wild horses and another one that I will tell you someday if you remind me.

wendy said...

Yes.. we can get one such creature in 11 months if you will breed Croatoan to one of the sweet little asses in the back pasture.

Pleeeeeeeze?????