Labels

Monday, August 10, 2009

Winning a Blue Ribbon

Readers of my book, those who have attended my clinics and long time readers of this blog know my feeling about horse shows, racing and the pursuit of ribbons. I think that competition has done little to benefit horses and does even less to improve human character.

Some ribbons do not offend me. In fact, there is a blue ribon hanging on the wall of my new office. The raised print reads "Skill,Courage, Sharing, Joy." It is one of Lido's Special Olympics ribbons. As soon as he would win one he would give it to me for safe keeping. I had them displayed in my old office on a deer skin that he helped tan. It has been nearly eight months since he died.

I do not have a good concluding point or message to this so I will simply stop writing.

1 comment:

Katelyn Kemp said...

Competition makes people fight to be the best over everyone else. Lido fought to be the best person that he could be and wasn't concerned with beating everyone else. Being "the" best and being "your" best are what people need to learn. Lido knew the difference at a younger age than most.