Labels

Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Other Side of The Coin



The only solution to the problem of "surplus" horses is to develop more riders and horse owners. My initial focus was to teach natural horsemanship to kids. In recent years I have taken on several adult students. The results have been dramatic. Twenty-one of my students or former students have become horse owners
in the last five years.
Each first learned natural horsemanship and then learned to ride or in some cases learned both simultaneously. Adults who have never ridden are one of the best hopes that America's unwanted horses have.
Pictured above is Vickie, a very active volunteer with USERL getting on Annie, a Virginia Range Mustang for the horse's first mounting. Though a long time horse lover, her riding experience had been scant before becoming active with USERL. The rider attributed her spur of the moment decision to hop on as the result of watching my little riders train horses. She believes that my book, particularly the sections on Lido (Patrick) gave her the confidence to take on this challenge at this stage in her life.
(She realizes that she should have worn a helmet and rib protectors for this first mounting.)

4 comments:

wendy said...

Awesome Vickie,

I know how good that must have felt! MSIH has helped build my confidence in such a way I thought not possible. Glad to see it had such an affect on you!

Vicki said...

I told my husband today that I could not believe I was there (all of 10 minutes). Glad there was a picture. I'm waiting for my rib protector to come (already have and have had a helmet), and then Annie and I are going to learn about riding together. This probably really sounds dumb, but right now, she is the only horse I trust even though she is not trained.

Danielle "Lil D" Mae Jones said...

The horse looks just like Kiowa and Red Cloud

Anonymous said...

oh no - nothing dumb in that....it's amazing the bond and trust you develope with your horse.
I am so excited for you and Annie.
Terry