Labels

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Man Of The House



Rattling Blanket Women, named for the step mother of Crazy Horse is shown above with her mother, Standing Holy, who was named for the last child of Sitting Bull. She recently turned two and about 10 days ago we put her in the round pen and began our methodical training program. KC was out for his second day at the horse lot. He and his sister, Carly, are my two newest little riders.

KC is quiet,intense and willing to sit for hours to learn how to gentle horses. He spent much of the morning gently rubbing the nervous filly down. Toward the end of the day I felt that she was ready to take her first rider. Two of my most experience teenage riders were still with us. I asked which one of them wanted to be the first person to get on Rattling Blanket Women.

KC said softly, "I do." I had no intention for someone with so little experience to get on the little bay. I was about to tell him no when I thought about what else is going on in life. The very next day his father was to be deployed to the Middle East.

I decided to give KC a chance to learn just how capable he is of meeting serious challenges. He put on his helmet and rib protectors and joined me in the round pen. We took it slowly, step by step. Foot in the stirrup, foot out over and over. Next it was Standing Up in The Stirrup for about 10 repetitions. Finally we were ready for him to throw his leg over and place his foot in the stirrup. I held the filly close and continued to rub her neck. She looked ready too.

KC mounted up and I lead Rattling Blanket Women off. She had just taken her first rider and KC had just gotten on his first completely fresh horse. It was a great day for both of them.

He looked proud and relieved. It was a look that I have seen many times, in fact, every time that Lido was the first person to ride a young or a wild horse.

I do believe that there just might be a touch of Lido in that boy.

2 comments:

Heather said...

The words may be simple but the heart behind the words is overflowing... Thank You

Unknown said...

Steve - Thank you for all you do with the kids and horses, it is truly amazing.