Labels

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Was Not Raised Like Other People



Over the years my parents adopted ten kids and kept over 120 foster children. My father was one of the founders of the local Rescue Squad and my mother was one of the first female members of the squad. My mother was the president of the Virginia Foster Parents Association and worked for years for legislation and programs to help children. Both were active with the Red Cross and my father still delivers food to families in need every Saturday. Just before Momma died Governor Mark Warner designated a September day as "Nelson and Aileen Edwards Day" in recognition of their many years of public service.

Daddy was a farrier in addition to his regular jobs. We never left a single horse without trimming its feet, regardless of how rough it was or whether or not the owner was willing to risk holding the animal. Momma carried the mail until a few years before her death. Momma could ride and was particularly good with a .22 rifle. They got me my first pony when I was two years old and he was one. By age three I was riding in the local Christmas parade.

Daddy is about 73. He can still ride. In fact, he accompanied my niece on her first ride in the woods. He spends most of his time out at the horse lot. He has more stage presence than anyone his age that I have ever seen. My adult riders, especially the women of all ages, do love to hear his stories.

Those in my family who do not drink or smoke tend to live a very long time. Daddy has never tasted alcohol or a cigarette so he probably has 30 more years to go. The warranty on my body has already run out and I expect him to out live me by a long time. He will probably still be back there at the horse lot telling another generation of adult riders about the time that his four your old niece told his three year old niece that she had "rode Bareback." "How did you catch the bear?", asked the three year old, with an amazed look on her face.

I expect that Daddy was in the middle of a story when this picture was taken last week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They broke the mold when your Daddy was born. He is quite a package and a gift to all !!!

wendy said...

Nelson is just like your pole fencing:

functional
unique but affordable (tee hee)
and like no other in the area....

I love to drive up,see his smiling face and I truly appreciate his wisdom!


Wendy

Katelyn Kemp said...

A day at the horse lot without one of his stories isn't a normal day at all.

Anonymous said...

He always reminds me that you can't learn everything at school, online, or from books. Thank You Nelson!!!!

Anonymous said...

nice pic :)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your mom and dad. So many people live their lives without discovering their destiny, legacy or meaningful contributions...they did...wish I could have met your mom, but glad I know your dad....I enjoy being around him...trying to remember his words and stories....
Richard