Labels

Monday, January 12, 2009

Everyone Needs a Marble Close By



Not long ago I received some correspondence from a self appointed spokesman for the established horse world that was shockingly bitter, hostile, and most of all profoundly incorrect. It is my policy to refrain from responding to such people. However, this communication was so far beyond the realm of civil discourse I was considering answering in strong terms.

In my book I spent several pages talking about the Marble family and how we worked together to train their mustangs. The Marble children were the kindest, smartest, and over all most athletic family that I have ever come across. Some days after after spending the morning in court prosecuting molestation cases or similarly disturbing crimes, I would quickly drive out to the Marble's farm just to cleanse my soul and remind myself that there are good and decent people still left.

Two of the Marble kids came all the way from Colorado for Lido's funeral. While they were here we went on two rides. I described the correspondence that I had received. I expected that the kids would be outraged. Instead, the oldest simply said, "That is so sad--that someone could have a life so unhappy that they write such things. I feel sorry for people like that."

Her response was neither glib nor smug. It was sincere. Her first thought was one of concern for the writer. That had been my last thought.

That is why the world would be a much better place if everyone had a Marble close by.


(This young Corolla is being driven with a surcingle, a step that we use before a horse takes on a rider.)

No comments: