Labels

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

True Horse Professionals

Tim Ware is one of my favorite modern horse care experts. I highly recommend his book. I strongly disagree with his belief that a horse's safe carrying capacity is only 15% of its body weight. Ware is a friendly,yet soft spoken man. I emailed him asking why he believed in such a low weight limit. He very calmly explained that it was not important to him that I agree with him, and went on to explain his position. I was struck by the wisdom of his response (though I still strongly disagree with his 15% rule). I have taken that view to heart.

It certainly is not important to me for "the established horse world" to agree with me. It is of much less concern that "true horse professionals" share my views. In fact, the older I get the more I find that I am only interested in gaining the respect and affection of horses.

I am not writing this to obtain the approval of an established horse world that approves of horse slaughter, sacrifices the legs of young race horses for the entertainment of gamblers, and encourages kids to buy "better" horses so they can "compete at a higher level."

I am not concerned that my views on the unimportance of what ever the fad of the day is for "proper " equine conformation may repel true horse professionals from mustangs.

Though not concerned, I am a bit perplexed as to why I would be found to be "disgusting." Before court today I showered, shaved, put in my new teeth, and even kicked the dust off of my boots. Impressive yes, disgusting, certainly not (well every now and then maybe.)

3 comments:

kigeranne said...

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
Kigeranne

Steve Edwards said...

It depends on who said the words.

IceRyder said...

"It certainly is not important to me for "the established horse world" to agree with me. It is of much less concern that "true horse professionals" share my views. In fact, the older I get the more I find that I am only interested in gaining the respect and affection of horses."

Great, Steve!