Labels

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Stone that the Builder Rejected

Foals are removed from the wild Corolla herd to manage herd size. Adults are only removed for their own protection. For example, Croatoan would leave the protection of the Four Wheel Drive area and wander into an area that exposed him to highway traffic, Manteo had to have stifle release surgery, Secotan's new born foal needed veterinary care, and Valor was in poor health. Trade wind appeared to have little chance at a comfortable life when he was removed. His front right foot was abscessed and his founder , coupled with the abscess, caused him to walk on the side of the hoof. When first observed walking he was believed to have a broken leg. The abscess was treated by the vet and he was placed at a foster farm where he received good care but had to be sedated and laid down to trim him feet.

This spring he came to us, a stunning but still limping stallion. I moved him around the round pen so that he would receive some exercise. I read Pete Ramey's great book on hoof care and decided to try those techniques on Trade Wind. First I had to gentle him enough so I could pick up his feet. It took all of Memorial Day, from sun up to supper, with a brief lunch break to do so, but I trimmed his front feet. The next morning he was moving much better. He still favored the front right foot when it was on the inside as he trotted around the round pen.

In July I mounted him for the first time. A few days later he was ridden in the woods with another Corolla stallion. With in two weeks he was being ridden regularly. I have continued with the Ramey techniques and most of all I have continued working him on hard packed soil and stretches of gravel.

He does a paso-like gait that he prefers to the canter. He does it every bit as fast as the horses around him are cantering. Best of all, he shows absolutely no soreness after a hard riding session. I expect him to have a fully grown foot by the first of the year. At that point I expect him to cease favoring the hoof under any condition. However, now that it is clear that working him causes him no pain, I do not really care if his foot gets up to 100%. He is at 98% right now and even at that level he is a first rate trail horse.

He is one of the more attractive Corolla stallions that I have seen and will be one of the foundations of the off site breeding program.























































2 comments:

Steve Edwards said...

Today Tradewind just completed a 19mile ride with about 15 of those miles at the trot or the canter. Better things will be soon coming

Anonymous said...

MY name is Chance i am a Mill Swamp rider
I have only been riding for about 7months but I can ride a horse pretty well
when I first so Tradewind I didnt think anyone would ride him but when one day I asked Steve who I was riding he said go Catch Tradewind
i was vrey suprise but i went and got Tradewind, I admit i was pretty scared
so i took it easy at first but when that horse started to canter i thought it was one of the smoothest thing ever
so for a lame horse he sure can ride